Sunday, January 29, 2006

life's an ocean...sail it

I was talking with a good friend today, and she really got me thinking. (Cm'on...me thinking isn't that much of a stretch is it?) Anyway, we talked about everything from grocery shopping to pajamas to whether or not it would be a good idea to wear pajamas while grocery shopping. (Our talks may lack structure, but they never lack for fun or wide-ranging topics.) After talking with her, I realized that I’ve got to quit playing it safe so much. I remember hearing once that, “a ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” Well, my ship has set sail. I can honestly say that I have left the safety of the harbor, and it feels good to see some wind in the sails and open and endless horizon ahead. The scenery in the harbor was getting old anyway; it was time for a change.

6 Comments:

Blogger tara dawn said...

Sail away, my friend. Glad to know you find our talks thought-provoking as well. And thanks for this post. No matter how much I talk of these things...I too need these reminders to set sail.
Sending love and lots of wind to keep your sails blowing!!

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Amy Gu said...

hoho, nice to read your blog. You know what? January 29, the date you wrote the piece, was the first day in Chinese Lunar New year. It is great if you wanna to make some wishes to change on that day in our Chinese tradition. Hope your sails will be fantastic this year.

9:54 PM

 
Blogger Sky said...

Bon Voyage! :)

11:43 PM

 
Blogger Dana said...

I think you find the perfect balance between safety and risk. but make sure when you have the adventures...that I am there to share in the fun!

xoxo

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I love this metaphor and I thank you very much for the compliments. Life experience and faith has been my teacher's. I would not change my journey because it has a purpose.

I'm so glad Tara has a friend like you, she's terrific!

11:01 AM

 
Blogger Camel said...

Good for you! In the back of my mind I'm always wondering if I could just go to California and be a surf bum....but I haven't yet...Takes courage. Happy sailing.

9:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home