Tuesday, December 20, 2005

home

It is so good to know that I will be home tomorrow. Life on the road for the better part of the last three weeks has left me drained. I feel like a plow mule who has been worked to exhaustion and is finally being allowed to trudge back to his stable to rest. A pile of hay to sleep on and a roof over my head seems pretty inviting to tell the truth, as long as it is home. I want to look at a Georgia sky for a change; you know the kind I am talking about. The kind of day when an hour or two of winter light remains in the afternoon, but the filter of a brooding storm casts a false twilight across the pines. I want to watch the storm move off the coast, and for that last moment of sunlight to hit me as the sun slips behind the horizon. I want to see my friends and family. I want to be home. I’ll be there tomorrow. I can’t wait.

I am so fortunate to have some great friends that have made the last couple weeks on the road a little more bearable. Seclusion or loneliness comes in two basic varieties. When it results from a desire for solitude, loneliness is a door we close against the world. When the world instead rejects us, loneliness is an open door, unused. I didn’t experience either of them on my trip. My friends came walking through that door everyday while I was away. They weren’t with me physically, but I could feel them with me nonetheless. For those of you who were with me, I say thank you. Your friendship means the world to me, and I do not take you for granted. Just as you were there for me, I promise to be there for you no matter where life’s journey takes you. You can count on that.

I can't wait to be home.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I am so glad you are home, friend. Even if you are only one mile down the road and I don't see you all the time... this comforts me tremdously.

I will always be a home for you...

xoxo

11:38 AM

 
Blogger daringtowrite said...

One day I want to see that Georgia sky with my own eyes, but for now thanks for a glimpse of what you look up to.

Oh, and it's good to be in such good company commenting here, too.

11:36 PM

 
Blogger tara dawn said...

Home has welcomed you again at last. And I'm glad to know that loneliness did not visit during your time away. You are right, dear Jeff, it IS good to be home. I cannot wait to see you soon.
Love - TD

12:08 PM

 
Blogger Camel said...

It's funny how just thinking about good friends can take us from feeling wretched to peaceful. Recently I had an utterly terrible day and then my best friend asked me to show her pictures of my friends from University. Just going through all those memories changed everything about that day.

Good for you for noticing this wonderful part of your life...

12:29 AM

 
Blogger Sky said...

I am waiting for a new post here! Guess you are having fun being near loved ones again. Happy New Year!

5:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home